Thursday, May 21, 2009

Winston

This is the face Winston makes when I try to explain what is about to happen to our family...it looks no different from the face that he makes when John explains his dissertation topic (which, by the way, was just approved....yay, John!). Winston is not sure what is going on in our household, but I'm certain he knows that I'm somehow different. As I've mentioned before, he was never ever a cuddly dog...even as a puppy, he would let us hold him for a few seconds then get up and plop down two feet away, heaving a big sigh. These days, Winston wants to curl up in my lap, or lay down against my belly if I happen to be laying down. It really is amazing to think that his powerful little nose senses something different about me, and that it is something he wants to be near. I know that the transition he'll go through will be a little rocky, since he's had full attention for 2 1/2 years, but I just know he'll be the best-est friend our little girl will have.

Just to keep everyone up to speed, we are moving in a few weeks to a bigger house in a safer neighborhood. We are very excited about this, even if the next few weeks will be a little hectic. And, as mentioned, John just got his dissertation topic approved by his advisor/chair of the department. This is a big deal, and he is such a hard worker...if you see him and he looks a bit stressed, feel free to encourage him to take a day off and relax.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Let me be the first to encourage John to relax, kick back and take his time. What's the rush to get out of Tucson? :)

Love the picture of Winston - what a sweet face!

Anonymous said...

Love this photo and the idea that he senses something is different. I hope he adapts well when the baby comes!

Frances Katrin said...

Poor Winston...He has no idea...Or maybe he does and he is trying to suck so you will remember how nice he is?